Welcome to the Building Department
Our mission is to protect the general welfare, safety, and investment of the citizens of Hewitt, to assist in the permitting process, and to work in achieving the goals of the developers and contractors.
What We Do
The Building Department is responsible for administering and enforcing International Building Codes and local city ordinances. This is performed through the initial review stage and inspection stage.
The Building Department enforces the 2015 International Building Codes and 2020 National Electrical Codes.
Applying for a permit online:
- Register as a collaborator on https://public.mygov.us/hewitt_tx. You can see more information on how to do this here.
- Once approved as a contractor, you can submit your permit request. Please click here for a copy of our Permit Application
- Please attach construction or site plans. Click on Check Sheets for more information for New Residential Permits and Commercial Permits.
- After your permit request has been reviewed and approved, you will be able to make payment. The Building Department Fee Schedule can be found in the Master Fee Schedule.
You can request your inspection on MyGov or call
254-666-6173. All inspections must be called in a day prior to needing the inspection. Most permits will require an inspection.
Construction working hours
The erection including excavation, demolition, alteration or repair of any building in a residential or business district other than between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., except during urgent necessity in the interest of public safety, and then only with a permit from the city manager, which permit may be renewed for a period of three days or less while the emergency continues.
Contact the main office of the Building Department at
(254) 666-6173 for getting started with the online MyGov system, request a permit, pay for a permit, or to request an inspection.