Fats, oils, and grease- are by-products of cooking found in:

  • food scraps
  • meat fats
  • lard
  • cooking oil
  • butter, margarine, or shortening

When FOG goes down the drain it cools and hardens and sticks to the pipes in your home or business and in the sewer system. It builds up in pipes and eventually blocks water from flowing through. When that happens, used water can back up into your home or business or cause a sewer overflow.

Impact of FOG 

Preventing sewer backups from FOG blockages saves residents money and protects the environment. When sewer pipes on the private property back up, the homeowner is responsible for the cleanup. For example, if a resident regularly pours grease down a drain, it will eventually cool, harden and form a blockage in the sewer pipe. Sewage then backs up through floor drains and toilets at the lowest point in the house. A plumber will have to be hired to clean the sewer and possibly repair plumbing inside the home. Cleanup costs can be expensive. Residents can help control the problem by properly disposing of fat, oil, and grease.

Proper disposal of fat, oil, and grease:

  • Pour or scrape greasy or oily food waste into a container or jar. 
  • Allow grease to cool or freeze in the container before throwing it in the trash. 
  • Mix liquid vegetable oil with an absorbent material such as cat litter or coffee grounds in a sealable container before throwing it in the trash. 
  • Keep drains clean by pouring 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain followed by 1/2 cup vinegar. Wait 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with hot water. 

When it comes to disposing of FOG, it’s easy! Pour it. Scrape it. Seal it. Trash it.






Riverside Water Treatment Plant

200 Colcord Ave.

24 hrs.

(254) 750-8040

Mt. Carmel Water Treatment Plant

5701 Lakeshore Dr.

24 hrs.

(254) 750-1654

Cobbs Convenience Center

44th Street
(between Cobbs Dr. and Trice Ave.)

Tuesday – Saturday, 8:00-5:00

(254) 751-8536

WMARSS Central Treatment Plant

1147 Treatment Plant Rd.

Monday – Friday, 8:00-5:00

(254) 299-2450

Street Services

7801 Monkey Run Rd.

24 hrs.

(254) 750-8690