Driver's Safety Course
Driver’s Safety Course
Please note: To be eligible, you:
1) Cannot have taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator’s course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months from the date of the current offense;
2) Cannot currently be taking the course for another traffic violation;
3) Cannot be the holder of a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or have held a CDL at the time of the offense; and
4) Have not committed one of the following offenses:
- Failure to Give Information about the Accident Scene;
- Leaving the scene of the Accident;
- Passing a School Bus;
- A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators;
- An offense in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present;
- Speeding 25 mph or more over the limit; or
- Speeding 95 mph or more.
If you wish to take a driving safety course, you may apply in person or by mail to the Court by your appearance date. If you request the driving safety course by letter, the letter must reach the Court office on or before your initial Court appearance date.
A signed plea of no contest or guilty must be included with your request.
Requests by Mail:
Send requests to:
Hewitt Municipal Court
200 Patriot Court ~ Hewitt, TX 76643
The following items are also required:
- Driver’s Safety Course request form
- Present proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance)
- Copy of Valid Texas Driver’s License
- $144.00 or $169.00 if the violation occurred in a school zone.
(Money order payable to Hewitt Municipal Court)
You will be required to attend a Texas Certified Driving Safety Course (additional cost). The course may be taken with any provider of your choosing, so long as it is TDLR approved (Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation).
A copy of the certificate of completion must be provided to the Court within 90 days of your request, along with a copy of your driving record from DPS (3A CERTIFIED version), which may be obtained at Request Driving Record
If you have any questions, please contact Hewitt Municipal Court at 254-666-1208.